Today I am SO excited to share with you the wedding of Jason & Samantha. I had the utmost pleasure, alongside Taste Fiji in bringing Jason & Sam’s wedding to life at a private property on the Coral Coast.
“We are both travel enthusiasts so we wanted to tie the knot in a place that would bring our friends and family together to experience something new and exciting for all of us. We wanted to pick a locale with warm weather, natural beauty, opportunities for adventure, culture and most importantly, a fun and welcoming community. When we began to consider Fiji, it was clear that it was everything we wanted and more.” ~Samantha
Bride Samantha contacted One Love Fiji Weddings looking for something outside the box & tailored for their big day. The couple were after a relaxed, simple & tropical style wedding. And the Myola Villas were the perfect spot, with its rustic charm, panoramic views of the coast and gorgeous gardens.
Sam shares with us details of their day. Australian Photography & Videography duo Sail Me to The Moon were there to capture it all.
The Fellas Wore / Groom: Custom tailored suit by Knot Standard for the ceremony: Ted Baker shorts & button down shirt with custom Converse All-Stars for the reception
Guys: Jason’s brothers wore traditional Fijian sulu sarongs for the ceremony paired with the Barney Cools “Lisse” trim fit floral button down shirts; J Crew lightweight chino club shorts & custom Converse All-Stars for the reception.
Hair & Makeup / Was by Ash at Hair N Mkup Perfectionist. Holy black magic, he is AMAZING and his whole team is so sweet & fun!
The Bride Wore / Dress: Celestine gown by Carol Hannah Shoes: L.K. Bennett “Alex” point-toe wedge pumps; changed into Pedro Garcia “Estee” sandals after the ceremony Accessories: Rings by Anna Sheffield: engagement ring is a custom inverted black diamond Bea ring (the 1st of its kind-Jason had it set inverted to showcase the beautiful emerald cut & Anna loved it so much that she sells it that way now), accompanied by a white diamond Crescent band & gold Sheaves band; blush streak belt, gold and freshwater pearl vine headpiece (both by Carol Hannah).
Theme / The planning & styling was coordinated to a tee by (Dua Tani) Bula Bride & Taste Fiji. The theme was simple, elegant, understated; natural colors to quietly compliment the beautiful landscape of Fiji-lush, overgrown greenery; soft white and neutral textiles; natural botanicals; including limes from the plantation orchard served as name cards at dinner.
The Flower Girls / We had 6 flower girls ranging from 4 to 11 years old, so we let them pick their own dresses that were age appropriate for each of them and showcased their individual styles and personalities. The varying texture and character of the mismatched dresses looked amazing photos and they all ended up with dresses that they love and will wear again and again.
The Reception / Was held in the gardens of the property. One long dinner table set in the garden decorated with linen tablecloth, limes from the orchard as name cards, lush greenery & candles, festoon lights overhead…so dreamy.
The menu was catered by Taste Fiji. We had a selection of locally sourced dishes served family style along the table: seared local reef fish; slow roasted beef fillet; grilled chicken breast; artisan breads & spreads; mango salad; indian spiced crushed new potatoes; rocket, basil & cherry tomato salad; pickled cucumber with chili.
The Highlight / With us living abroad, spending a whole week with our closest friends & family was amazing and–ending it with us tying the knot & a big party to celebrate was so special.
The Advice /
- Get a planner! Kylie & Louise’s help was so invaluable to us, especially planning site unseen from afar. I was so relieved to find someone that understood my vision (no white plastic lawn chairs with bright pink sashes!) and knew how to bring it to life.
- Let go! You can’t control the weather or any of the many little things that won’t end up going as planned. Just let it go and remember that at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you are marrying your best friend. Sometimes the things that go wrong end up being the best memories & funniest stories afterwards.
- Delegate duties. I am such a people pleaser (and perfectionist) so I have a tendency to take on too much and try to do it all on my own. The wedding was no exception. It all goes by so fast and if you’re busy running around trying to do it all on your own, you’ll miss it all. Don’t be shy about asking nicely for help and delegating tasks when necessary. When people offer to lend a hand, let them–they want to help. In the end it turned out that some people felt hurt and excluded because I didn’t call on them for help.
- Don’t be afraid to say no. This is also related to me being a people pleaser and wanting to make/keep everyone happy. Everyone will have their own opinions about what your big day should look like and how to prepare for it and some may be aggressive about pushing their own ideas into your plans. There will be some things you’ll be comfortable being flexible about, but don’t be afraid to say no thank you and politely stand your ground. This day is meant to be a reflection of you and your partner, so stay true to yourselves and what is important to you.
- Be present. It all flies by in one happy, twirly blur. It will all be over in a blink so be present and enjoy every love-filled moment with the people dearest to you.
- Embrace the culture. Everyone we knew who had been to Fiji couldn’t say enough wonderful things about the people they met during their stay and it ended up being the deciding factor for us choosing Fiji as our wedding destination. The people of Fiji were incredibly kind, welcoming and easy to laugh with. They were eager to share their stories, songs and traditions with us. On our last night we had a farewell dinner with plenty of laughs and hugs–and a few bittersweet tears as we said goodbye to our new friends. Incorporating the people and culture of Fiji into our celebration made the difference between a trip to the beach and the journey of a lifetime.
Photography & Videography | Sail Me to the Moon
Planning & Styling | One Love Fiji Weddings & Taste Fiji Events
Florals | Tadra Flowers
Hair & Makeup | Hair N Mkup Perfectionist
Brides Dress | Carol Hannah
Catering & Cake | Taste Fiji
Entertainment | Liam Ray Band & DJ Will